Pages

Friday, October 8, 2010

Spending Time w/ One of America's Great Pastors - Part 2

On Wednesday, I posted the first 5 of my Actionable Learnings from my time with Robert Morris, Pastor of Gateway Church in Southlake, TX. Here are my second 5 Learnings... Enjoy.

Learning #6: Our job as a pastor is to continually be asking, “How can I help?”

I love this perspective, especially in light of the context he said it in which is helping his staff. When you see someone carrying a burden of some kind, simply stopping to ask the question, “How can I help?” is how we pastor them.

Learning #7: Givers don’t want attention, but they do want to be appreciated. We must stop ignoring the gift of giving in the Body of Christ. It’s in the same list as teacher and miracles.

Learning #8: 3 Things about a pastor that you’re going to have to decide if you like, because they’re probably not going to change:

1) Their Friends,

2) Their Vision, &

3) Their Government.

What a great filter for new people coming into a church. Who do the leaders watch, learn from and hang with? What is their vision? And How are they committed to running the business of the church? Phenomenal.

Learning #9: The greatest temptation in the ministry in the next 5 to 10 years is Burnout. It’s a major reason pastors are falling morally, because they’re looking for an escape from the stress and pace of their life and they are turning to illegitimate escapes.

Great perspective and warning. It makes me so thankful for the precedence of Sabbath and days off and rest that we’ve got in place as a church. It also motivates me to teaching every pastor I come in contact with. What a major need in the ministry today. (Click here for the link to a talk I did recently on Margin)

Learning #10: A Personal Challenge to Pastors: Don’t exhibit God in your churches, let people experience Him. The greatest tool of evangelism today is the Presence of God in our worship services. Don’t compromise the presence of God and preaching of the Word. Your opinion won’t change anybody’s life, but the Presence and Power of God in your church will.

That’s what I’m talking about!

I’m definitely leaving this time with one of America’s great leaders encouraged, inspired and challenged to keep pushing into the great and unique thing that God is doing at Next Level Church.

Thanks again to Pastor Robert, Gateway Church, Billy Hornsby and the ARC for making this opportunity possible.

1 comments:

Nathan Camp said...

Great stuff Matt! Glad to you got to be a part of this. I know NLC will be better for it.

Post a Comment