Pages

Thursday, March 31, 2011

My Official #MLB Picks for the 2011 Season (Thick Sarcasm Warning***)

It is once again that time of year when, as a rabid MLB Baseball fan, I make 2 sets of predictions:

1.  The teams I, as an unbiased realist, actually believe will win their divisions and the Wild Card &

2.  The teams in each division I’ll be rooting for over the next 6 months, and why.

So without further adu, here you go:

The Realist List:

AL East: Red Sox – Listen, when you spend more money then the national debt of our nation, like the BoSox did this off season, you better win your division. If Boston doesn’t win 100 games this year, they should demand their money back from their 5 highest paid players.  (104-58) ** (By the way, I have officially invoked the “Keller Scoff” every time I or my kids hear the name “Carl Crawford” all year. The last time we did this was the year after the Phillies beat the Rays in the World Series, when we invoked the “One Year Grudge” against the Phils.) I’m scoffing right now, actually.

AL Central:  Twins – I think this is the year that the Twinkies put it all together. Morneau will have a come back year, Mauer will be Mauer and everybody else will dominate. (94-68) More on them below…

AL West: Rangers – This will once again be the year of “Everything’s bigger in Texas.” Josh Hamilton rules like a Roman Emperor, and C.J. Wilson will find himself like a college freshman. (93-69) Trust me that will be enough to win the AL West.

AL Wild Card: Rays – You may not believe me with this one because I’m such a big Rays fan, but I’m just tellin’ ya, I think they’re going to surprise everyone! For one Reason: Joe Maddon. The guy is simply brilliant. He’s by far the smartest manager and best leader anywhere in baseball. Just watch him handle Manny Ramirez without so much as a blip on the “Manny being Manny” radar. (94-68)

NL East: Phillies – My goodness, if they don’t dominate with that Starting Rotation, then fire everyone including the clubhouse attendants & the girl selling CheeseSteaks in section 123! They arguably have the greatest rotation in the history of the game. The only caviat in this pick is keeping their position players healthy. Come on Utley and Victorino, keep the big boy pants on all season. We know you can do it! (98-64)

NL Central: Cardinals – Ahhh, this one kills me quietly, because I’m a born and raised closet Cub fan transplant in the Sunshine state, but I think the Red Birds in the central will rally behind King Albert one last time before he departs for NY. Because let’s be honest, every great player from a small or medium sized market ends up in NY in Pinstripes. But as for this year, the Cards will win the Central by the skin of their teeth. (88-74)

NL West: Giants – It’s go time again for the Orange and Black from northern Cali. They got this on Attitude alone for cryin’ out loud. Who doesn’t like watching players with beards the size of small states and infielders named after animals you can only find in a protected area at the zoo. Come on Giants, do it again. (94-68)

NL Wild Card: Braves – I just love how they have patiently developed a new generation of ball player in the ATL. These young guys will thrive under Freddie Gonzalez’s new style of leadership and be the lasting legacy of one of the greats, Bobby Cox. (93-69)

Now, for the 8 teams I’ll be rooting for: 

(The logic is this: If I pick 1 team in each division then everyday I have close to a dozen games that matter to one of “my teams.”) I’m convinced this is what True Fans of the MLB do. (And truthfully, growing up a Cub Fan, you either learn to root for a lot of teams or just live with depression for 6 months…) So here ya go…

AL East: Tampa Bay Rays – Oh yes, I am wearing my Rays Jersey as I write this right now! They’re going to surprise everyone because all eyes will be on Boston & NY killing each other this year. And the Rays will silently stay in contention and then pounce like CC Sabathia on a Cheese Burger in September. Jeremy Hellickson is going to take his sleepy lookin’ face and win 15 games for the Rays and the rest of the Starting Rotation will finish with more wins than the Yanks, I guarantee it. Trust me. It’s true. Anyway you slice it, the words “Rays Win” will be said more times than everyone thinks.

AL Central: Twins – Not only do they Spring Train 2 miles from my house,  which makes me an automatic fan but I just like the way they’ve built the entire Twins Experience. From Player development to Fan experience at Target Field to Reputation in general. The Twins are just one of the finest Franchises in the game today.  And they deserve my cheering all season long.

AL West: Rangers – I guess I’ll root for them because let’s be honest the A’s don’t deserve it… bad ballpark, ugly uniforms and they have a letter as a name. The Angels are a disappointment being in such a major market. I mean really, where are you from really? Anaheim or Los Angeles or California or Orange County? Really? Heck, my vote is to name them after Rick Warren’s church! Call them the Saddleback Angels of Anaheim just south of LA. Why not the Purpose-Driven Life Angels?!? And Seattle is underwhelming. I guess the Rangers win by Default. Go Josh Hamilton. Love his testimony and life-story.

AL Bonus Pick: Royals – I know it may surprise you, but I will actually be a closet Royals fan this year. I think they’re building a quality franchise the right way (by that I mean, their not spending $200 Million buying every super star like NY & Boston). The Royals are growing up guys from the ground up, renovating the ball park and are just a good up-the-middle small market team.

NL East: Braves – I can’t wait to root for this young team. Heyward is sick. Flat out sick. Are you kiddin’ me? That duffer doesn’t know the word “Can’t.” Uggla is a great addition. And I got to know Derek Lowe a little bit over the off season. His son was on my son’s Little League team and so we shared some moments watching and talking baseball this winter. Derek is a quality guy and a cancer survivor by the way, which is personal to me now with my Nephew, Joey’s fight still going on daily! Go Braves!

NL Central: Cubs – I have to root for the Flubs again this year. First, because they’re my childhood team. And although my 2 boys don’t share my affinity for the Chubs, still I will root them on. Second, they have 2 former Rays in Matt Garza and Carlos Pena, and it will be fun to say all season long whenever those 2 guys do something good, “Yeah we gave you those guys because we didn’t need ‘em… you’re welcome!” Carlos Zambrano is a crazy man and I don’t see the leadership potential that everyone else seems to think is there with him. I think Garza and Pena will bring so much Maddon-like Leadership to the Cubs that it will actually pay off more than perhaps their play on the field.

NL West: Rockies – I like the young guys… Tulowitzki, Carlos Gonzalez, and Jimenez just to name a few. Come on Rocks you can do this! They just gotta put it all together which at the end of the day comes down to leadership. I hope their manager can motivate the young guys like they need to be. Leading the young generation is way different than in decades past. It takes a new kind of leadership and I hope the Rockies Manager can do that. Great stadium too, by the way.

NL Bonus Pick: Reds – I gotta go with the Reds. What a fun team to watch last year. And I really believe that if anybody can beat the Cardinals it will be them. The Brewers don’t have enough. The Cubs are rebuilding and the Pirates and Astros will once again be the laughing stock of the division. But… The Reds have what it takes to compete. Votto is stud. Brandon Phillips has just enough Oprah-like confidence to be effective and I think there’s just a good chemistry in that clubhouse. I’m always a sucker for small market teams. Come on Cincy, do it again. And yes, bring back the Baseball-Headed Cartoon Logo as often as possible! You know kids and adults alike are crazy for that little guy!

So there you have it. The Official Matt Keller MLB 2011 Picks have been published. It’s gonna be a great year.

And if you need me over the next 6 months, try checking a ballpark cam, because I’m probably there or at the very least watching a game somewhere. After all, we don’t sing “Take me out to the ballgame” at all 2,430 games each year figuratively. As real baseball fans, we mean it. We really can’t wait to go!

See ya at the ole’ ballgame soon,

Matt Keller

0 comments:

Post a Comment