Pages

Monday, May 9, 2011

Do you buy the book? A 90 second leadership challenge for the rest of us...

I've had an interesting observation recently at events where I've been speaking...

Surprisingly few people buy the books.

First, a couple confessions:

1.  I'm an avid reader. I read 4 to 6 books at a time, in different categories, and with different reasons in mind. Therefore, I'm always on the lookout for new content that I can get my hands on. I subscribe to the idea that, "The more you put in, the more sticks and the more you have to give later." I'm a teacher. It's just who I am.

2.  I'm an author. I am willing at this point, to concede the fact that at several of these events recently I've had one of the books that's available for sale.

Now back to the question:

Why are so many people moved in a teaching session, and yet so few want to add to their learning beyond the event?

A Few Possible Answers:

1.  They think they've already learned all the author has to share.

2.  They aren't willing to commit to extending their learning.

3.  They weren't really that impacted by what was taught in to begin with.

4.  They have the wrong perspective. 

One of my leadership Buzzwords is Teachability. It's something that I've made a life's purpose; To be teachable. It's something I think there's just too little of in leadership circles.

I am convinced that so often, we attend a conference, leadership event, a class, or even just a church service and something inside us wells up right at the moment where we're challenged to change. However, instead of leaning in to change, we actually lean out just far enough for us to miss the opportunity to become something greater in our life or leadership.

So what about you? When was the last time you "bought the book" or "took the step" or "made the change?" Are you willing to lean in or are you more likely to lean out?

Just a thought...

Matt Keller

1 comments:

Dominique M said...

Personally, I almost always want to buy the book. I've just neglected to realize that their could be a book- and it doesn't end up in the budget. Usually all the money that has been budgeted toward the event has been used on paying to get into the event itself

Post a Comment