Pages

Monday, June 11, 2012

The Underdog Journey Begins!

Let me first thank the hundreds of you who have congratulated me on the opportunity to write for Thomas Nelson on Facebook, Twitter, by text, in person or on this site. We are honored that you're behind us in this adventure!




A few thoughts so far...
 
1. I feel like I have a Head Start. 
     One of the questions many of you are asking is, "Where do you start?" or another variation, "How do you start?" And the answer is, "I already have." The Underdogs theme and message have been burning in me for over 5 years now. In fact, one of the messages I love to speak when we travel to churches in our tribe is on "David, the Underdog." (Look for it in the book, btw!)
   
     I'm excited because I feel like the content is flowing out of me at a good pace right now. One of the biggest disciplines I have to keep in the front of my mind is, "Don't Write and Edit at the same time." In other words, you can't filter. You just have to get it out of your head and on to paper. For me that looks like sitting down at the computer and letting the content flow. I don't correct spelling or grammar. I just tell myself, "You will have 100 chances to edit that last sentence. Just write!" So far so good.
  
2. That whole "wake up real early and write thing..." yeah it's real. 
     I have often heard other writers say that when they're in a writing season they will wake up especially early and write. Their mind is clear, their thoughts are focused and the distractions of the day aren't awake yet.
     Let me just say, I get that now! Last week, for example, I woke up at 4am and wrote for 2 hours, then got on a flight to NYC and edited the chapter I wrote earlier that morning. It works! And I love every second of it!
     When I get in the flow, I can write about 5,000 words at a time. Unedited of course. But definitely out of my head and onto paper. (or screen) Some writers try to take a 500 words a day pace and just chunk away at it. I think if I were writing Leadership or Self-Help (which I love btw) that would work for me. But with the concepts in the Underdogs book, I'm flowing pretty well with just sitting and banging out an entire chapter.
 
3. I feel like this book could become a movement. 
     The more of the content I get out of my head and onto paper, the more I believe the Underdogs book could become a movement to inspire a generation to reach their destiny.
     One quick story... I was in NYC recently and pitched the book idea to 2 leaders of an international ministry that works with children all over the world (the true underdogs, btw) and after I shared the general concept of the book and a few of the specifics of the chapters, both men were visibly moved.

     I want desperately for God to use this book to inspire so many people to put their underdog excuses aside and go after their dreams! Never underestimate the power of the written word to impact a person's heart. "Let it be so with this book, Lord!"

Thanks for following the journey,

As always, you can keep up with this project by click the"Get free Updates and Resources" button at the top right or by liking our Underdogs Book page on Facebook by click here.

#AddingValue

@MatthewKeller

4 comments:

John Lai said...

Pastor Matt I am so honored to call you our Pastor. Thank you for inspiring the generation of young adults and teenagers behind us. Doing so inspires our generation. So glad that we have a God that gets behind the underdogs! Can't wait to read it.

Anonymous said...

Your book "The Up the Middle Church" really changed my perspective on ministry and not only ministry but my life altogether. I keep it next to my dresser ever since I bought it as a reminder that my life's true success will come one yard at a time. Thanks. On the other hand once I quit living with this dream of throwing a HailMary into to the end zone for the big score, little did I know that the reality of doing life one yard at a time had sort of quenched the flame of crazy tenacious faith filled passion that I once walked in that made me believe I could throw a HailMary. And I found myself in a state of Mediocrity saying to myself if its going to be one yard at a time i might as well just watch the game it will play itself out if its meant to be. With that attitude defeat started sinking in because i found myself no longer moving the ball one yard at a time but more like playing defense for most of the game and that, excuse my expression. sucks...sorry! But it does. Anyway thats the state of living I was in I started seeing the game like, i'm never going to score because I never get the ball, but then.....Don't you just love the but thens...lol! kinda like "but God" but then I saw your announcement of The God of the Underdogs and what it would possibly consist of, and it changed the game....forever!!! Now I got the ball back and i'm ready to grind it out one yard at a time it doesn't matter how long it takes or what the score made be right now, I will, I already have the victory! so thank you Pastor Matt,I have been at NLC for almost a year and since i've been there you have motivated me to once again pursue my passion as well as my purpose. Love ya man!

shawnasutherland said...

Matt - first of all, THANK YOU for sharing the tips and tools you are finding to be effective. I definitely resonate with writing early in the morning, and will keep 'don't write and edit at the same time' at the forefront of my mind. Also - I'm really excited to start seeing content and read the finished work! I know that there is going to be so much inspiration to share in the work we are doing with Liberty City in our community that will come directly from your words. Keep it up!!! And thank you for sharing your journey, I will be following closely!

Pastor Matt Keller said...

Shawna,

Thanks for the encouragement! I love what God is doing through LibertyChurchNY and Liberty City. What a great adventure!

John,

Thanks my friend. The journey just keeps getting better and better.

Anonymous,

Wow! I really appreciate your openness and vulnerability to share. And I'm glad that my story can somehow motivate you in living your story.

Matt Keller

Post a Comment