Pages

Monday, November 12, 2012

Southwest Airlines delivers more than just Air Travel, they deliver happiness... What we can all learn


Southwest Airlines delivers more than just Air Travel, they deliver happiness.


     Sitting in Row 16 on an evening flight from Baltimore back to my home in Ft. Myers, FL, I had the pleasure of flying on Southwest. Now, I must admit, I have been a big fan of Southwest's business model for a long time. But on this night I got to witness what not only makes them one of the most profitable airlines in an industry of historically unprofitable companies, but what sets them apart entirely.




     Between the time the flight attendant (Mandy) took our order for our drinks (no annoying drink carts in the aisles) and the time she brought us our Diet Dr. Pepper and Ginger Ale, I jotted down 5 Reasons why Southwest is providing service superior to anyone else in the industry. (And having just flown on what my assistant calls "Cheap-o-air" 2 days earlier) I was more than a little aware of the differences. Let's just say, they were glaring.

     If you're a leader or business owner of any kind, there is much we can learn from Southwest.

     First, they focus on Employee Engagement, Happiness and Fulfillment and it trickles down to the customer. 

     It has long been said in business that "Happy employees make happy customers." Southwest gets this big time! From the whimsical and at times, a bit cheesy, humor interjected into the "Public Safety Announcement" to the ear to ear smile on the face of our flight attendant when she took our drink order, Southwest knows how to set the customer at ease. 
     When she asked how we were doing, and I commented that I love this airline, she blurted back, "I do to! And tomorrow is my 1 year anniversary with this company! I am so excited!" Yeah, let's just say that "Cheap-o-air" ain't smiling or bragging about that. 
     Take care of your employees and they will take care of your customers. And it's not just in the big things, though those certainly have their place. It's the little things, done consistently over an extended period of time that creates a happier work environment.

     Second, they focus on the Right Things instead of Wrong, Superfluous Things. 

     So many airlines spend way too much time "policing" customers, instead of empowering them. Let's be honest, nobody wants to be unnecessarily policed. We know air travel is an enormous responsibility but it doesn't have to be stuffy or rude. Southwest's focus is on anything that helps the customer have a smoother experience and process. Don't assign me a seat, I'm a college educated, successful American adult. I betcha I can figure it out. Don't charge me for a bag, or nickel and dime me to change flights. Don't make me find the best deal on some randomocity.whatever site, just tell me where to go, make the procedure easy and let me do my thing.
     Where in your business have you made it "harder than it needs to be" for the customer?

     Third, they empower customers! (and who doesn't love Power of Choice.)

     We are living in the age of choice. The young generation today lives by the mantra, "Empower us or we will choose someone else who will." We will only tolerate 'no options' until we are given an option and then we will take the better option, and here's the kicker, business leaders, EVEN IF IT COSTS US MORE MONEY. 
     Southwest gets away with higher fares at times, because they empower you and people love choice. Seth Godin defines "Being rich" as "having the power to choose." Southwest airlines gets that. 

     Fourth, they understand flying and air travel is a stressful sport and they seek to ease that pain just a little bit. 

     When a company understands a real "pain" or "stressor" in their customer's life, and can alleviate it, they become immensely valuable to them. Southwest does that. Business leader, what "pain" or "stressor" is your customer experiencing that you could alleviate? And don't over think it. 
     Southwest pays for softer, comfier chairs in the waiting area. They pay for extra power outlets nearby, why? Because they know the pains of traveling and they want to alleviate them as much as they can. It's a little bit of extra effort and expense that pays BIG Dividends in customer loyalty.

     Finally, they systematize as much as possible to de-complexify (did I just make up a word?) as much as they can.
     Thus maximizing profit and minimizing waste. (Which is in abundance in the airline industry) 
     Build systems, empower people, trust the customer to know what's best for them, make it as easy as possible, then watch profits increase. Regardless of the industry you find yourself in, I'm willing to bet there's a way to systematize to decomplexify and make your customer's experience better. Southwest does this better than anyone else in the industry and their bottom line shows it.

     So, as the lights of the coastline of Ft. Myers come into view out the cabin window to my left, I can't help but compare my experience on "Cheap-o-air" to this one, and tonight I'm thankful for how Southwest airlines is getting it right. It's the little things that make all the difference. Thanks for the Cheese Nips, Peanuts and Diet Dr. Pepper. And thanks for getting us in safely and a few minutes early as well. Happy 1 Year Anniversary, Mandy, you work for a great company.

Respectfully,

Seat 16C



















0 comments:

Post a Comment