Pages

Wednesday, November 14, 2012

What I'm Doing to Get In Shape - A Personal Update

    While I was writing my Manuscript for "The God of the Underdogs" it was really hard to exercise and workout. I hated it, but there just flat out wasn't enough time to run our church, lead, travel, speak multiple times each week, be dad, sleep & write a Best-Seller! (Hahaha)


     So when I turned in the manuscript on September 15th, I knew I wanted to reengage my health in a big way. I was as heavy as I had been since 2002 when we moved to Florida to start Next Level Church.

Let me throw out a couple of disclaimers:
  •      First, I'm no physical fitness expert. Just a guy who speaks 250-300 times a year and needs to be in pretty good shape to sustain that.
  •      Second, if you are a physical fitness guru, I'd appreciate it if you'd not make a TON of comments trying to advise me better or whatever. It's not that I'm not open to all that, but advise from everywhere can get a little overwhelming. I've got a couple of trusted "experts" who are monitoring me and coaching me so I'm deferring to them right now.
  •      Third, I know there are a million and one ways to lose weight and get in shape. 
  •      Finally, you should consult a physician before starting any fitness regimen. (Did I say that right, Mr. attorney? )

So on October 1st I began... And am still going. Here's what I'm doing. I hope it helps and inspires you.

1. I am exercising in our Clubhouse Fitness Room.

     It's not attractive, I can't see outside and I am utterly uninspired in there. But guess what: At the end of the day, none of that matters! "Shut up with the excuses Keller and just get in there! If you want pretty and inspiring look at a photo album. If you want to lose weight, get in there."

2. I am walking an hour / day.

     The treadmill has a 1 hour setting so I'm doing that. I'm also doing a bit of ab work and occasional arms stuff cause I'm tired of having skinny, pretzel stick arms.

3. I set a goal to work out 20 times in the Month of October.
     And I did it. 21 to be exact. And I set the same goal for November. That goal is based on my travel schedule, reality and family & time constraint realities. Better to be realistic than to set a goal that leaves me feeling like a failure.

4. I keep my Heart Rate between 65-75% of my maximum. 

     Which for me is not sweating hardly at all. I've learned this is the maximum fat burning zone. So for me a 37 year old male, that's between 110-128 bpm. I've also noticed that I don't feel nearly as drained throughout the day like I used to when I'd kill myself at the gym.

5. I try to do Abs & Arms 3 times a week. 

     See #2 above. 

6. I cut all extraneous sugar - Skittles, etc.
     Which if you know me is a big deal. I love sugar like its a third son, but honestly once I got over the hump, it's not been horrible. The harder reality has been not "snacking" at night on the couch.

7. I have been Extra-Conscious about what I'm eating.

     I cut a lot of the greasy stuff, fatty stuff etc. It certainly hasn't been a perfect thing, but WAY better than the previous few months.

The Result:
     I lost 7 lbs. in 31 days in October and as of this writing, November 13th, I've lost 8 pounds. I feel great. Shirts that were too tight to wear (at least in public) fit again. I have more energy and I've figured out how to write and Multi-task on the treadmill. (I actually wrote this whole article on my iPhone while working out.)

     So that's my journey, so far, of getting back into shape. I know that the next season I am heading into is going to require me to be in the best physical shape of my life. So I consider this to be as important as anything else I'm doing right now.

#AddingValue

@MatthewKeller





2 comments:

David Drum said...

Thanks for leading from the front and sharing with us along the way

Nathan Camp said...

One word: Stud! :) Awesome man...

Post a Comment