Pages

Monday, February 16, 2009

A Slave to the Whimsical

So I was SOAPing this morning and couldn't help but share this with all of you.  I am loving studying the Bible for myself in the Message Translation of the Bible.  It's coming alive.  If you have never been able to read the Bible and apply it to your life, or if are in ministry and struggle to not "read for others" then you have to try SOAPing.  Go to www.NextLevelChurch.com/SOAP and download the reading guide and listen to the message I did on it.  It has the power to change your life, I'm tellin' you.

So here's my SOAP for today:

S-Scripture: I Corinthians 6:12 (The Message)  "Just because something is technically legal doesn't mean that it's spiritually appropriate.  If I went around doing whatever I thought I could get by with, I'd be a slave to my whims."

O-Observation: I love that Paul is pulling down legalism right here and creating a standard that is far lower.  He brings righteousness down to the whim level.

A-Application: It's so easy to get our eyes on what's "Legal" or "Moral" or "Unethical" but he brings it down to a motives level that is so personal.  what "whims" have we become a slave to? They can be simple things like impatience in traffic or needing a cup of coffee in the afternoon.  Think of that, anything as small as a whim, can make a slave of us! Wow! I have never seen that before.

No longer is it just "the big stuff" that we must guard against that can enslave us, it's the "whimsical" as well.

P-Prayer: "God, help me to become aware of the whimsical things in my life that I am a slave to. Open my eyes to areas of entitlement or where I must have my own way! Show me those things and help me to surrender them whims to You. May I take my self-discipline to that level! Amen."

Just a glimpse into what God is doing in my heart,

Have a great Monday everybody,

Matt

0 comments:

Post a Comment