Pages

Tuesday, July 10, 2007

Additional Content for "Dealing with Defeat" in our lives

For all of you who are tracking with us through our NLC Summer Series: "Take Me Out to the Ballgame," you know that we talked about "Dealing with Defeat" in Part 3. (To listen to the message, click the link on the right side of this blog page...) I had a lot of content that I didn't use in my message on Sunday and so I wanted to offer it here on my blog this week. I hope that you will not only look it over, but do some additional Bible Study on the Idea of "Standing Firm" that is found on so many occasions in the Bible.

When We Face Seasons of Defeat in our Lives We Should:

1. Stand Firm & Hold Fast to the Teachings.

2 Thessalonians 2:15 “So then, brothers and sisters, stand firm & Hold fast to the Teachings we passed on to you, whether by word of mouth or by letter.”

I am not the biggest fan of roller coasters. My wife loves them, I tollerate them at best. She is the kind that will go, "hands up all the way!" I on the other hand am more of a "Clutch the handlebars until your knuckles go numb kind of guy." So when 2 Thes. says to "Hold Fast" to God's teachings, I think that's what they're talking about. Holding on to God's word like a roller coaster ride. I actually think the official instructions at a theme park are: “Keep all hands, arms, legs etc. inside the cabin at all times..” See, when we're going through a difficult time in our lives, sometimes it’s necessary to just HOLD FAST!!! Nothing fancy, just stay in the pocket and Hold on tight to the Teachings of the Bible!!!

This is the importance of our Connection Groups at NLC. We want everyone to have a group of people around them who can help them to "Hold Fast" to the Word of God during Difficult or Deafeating times.

2. Stand Firm & Give yourself Fully to the Work of the Lord.

I Corinthians 15:58 “Therefore, my dear brothers and sisters, stand firm. Let nothing move you. Always give yourselves fully to the work of the Lord, because you know that your labor in the Lord is not in vain.”

There is nothing more powerful than giving yourself to something bigger than yourself. I think this is where we miss it so often. When trouble or defeat comes our way, it causes tunnel vision in our lives. Until all we can see is ourselves. Here's one for you... When I get discouraged I love to pray for our Missionaries. I love to focus my prayers beyond myself and my own circumstances and it's amazing that almost instantly it begins to pull me up out of it! I also love to pray for other churches in our community. Southwest Florida has some great churches, and I have the privilege of being friends with alot of the pastors across our community. I love praying God's blessing on the other churches of our community! They are doing a great work for God and we at NLC love supporting them!

3. Stand Firm & Don’t Return to the Burden of Sin.

Galatians 5:1 “It is for freedom that Christ has set us free. Stand firm, then, and do not let yourselves be burdened again by a yoke of slavery.”

One of the greatest temptations that comes during times of defeat is to run back to a more "comfortable" place. ie... Sin. Sin always gives off the appearance of comfort, security, feel good in the moment, and rescue. But we all know that sin never leaves us there. It always has a bitter taste in the end. Unfortunately for us, too often we get swept up in a difficult time and run to sin as an escape.

We have to fight against this like Galatians 5:1 says. We can't return to a "yoke of slavery" or else we'll find ourselves dealing with a different kind of "defeat" all over again.

Just a Bonus Bloggish Thought,

Matt

1 comments:

Clif McKinley said...

Hey Matt great thoughts, your second point really hits home and give me some things to think about. Thanks

Post a Comment