Pages

Monday, July 2, 2007

Exit 101 Never Looked so Good!!!

So Friday night, I traveled across Aligator Alley to the Florida Marlins game. The purpose was 2 fold: 1) To shoot the last remaining video for our Take Me Out to the Ballgame Series and 2) to spend the evening with my oldest son, Will, my nephew, Taylor (who lives in Tallahassee) and Chad Oliver (one of the NLC Video Guys, who's just plain brillant, by the way).

So the night went of without a hitch, well, at least until the drive home! So we left the stadium and let's just say that I got confused about whi of the road we were supposed to be driving on! (I'm not sure how Chad will tell the story, but ...) anyway, after seeing the "WRONG WAY" signs, I pretty much knew that we were going the wrong way. So anyway, we got headed in the right direction, and on the right side of the highway. That's when I noticed that we had 1/4 tank of gas.

No big deal, right? There are gas stations everywhere between Miami and Fort Myers. Well, apparently, they're not as easy to find as I thought. So we get on the toll road headed back across Alligator Alley when I think to myself, "Oh yeah, I can't forget to stop at that one gas station that is on the Alley."

Well, Chad and I must have been deep in conversation or something, b/c it would appear that I blew right by that gas station. So then I saw the rest areas and thought to myself, "Okay, no big deal, I hit the next gas station."

Long story short, my Orange, "LOW GAS" light came on at mile marker #68. I wasn't really worried, in fact, Chad mentioned to me that the next exit was #80 and we could get off there. So although I was conscious of my "Low Gas" Situation, I wasn't overtly concerned. (Did I mention that the conversation was exhilarating?)

As we were getting off at Exit #80, having traveled 12 miles already with the "LOW GAS" light on, it dawns on both of us at the same time, "There are no gas stations at this exit." I think it was Chad who spoke first... "We have to go 21 more miles to get to the nearest gas station." As I hit the accelerator, I could feel inside that I was signing my own death wish. There was no way that my 18 gallon tank was going to go for 21 more miles. I had already went 12 on the "LOW GAS" light.

So as we set the cruise control a few things began to happen simultaneously. 1. We started counting mile markers. With every passing mile, we would call out the mile marker. Let's just say that's the longest 21 miles of my life.
2. We began creating contingency plans for when we ran out of gas.
3. We began checking our cell phones for a signal. B/c as most of you know there are some dead spots along the alley where you can't get a signal.
4. We began to FREAK OUT!!!

Neither of us wanted to say it, but I think we both knew that this was not a good situation. With my 13 year old nephew and 6 year old son in the backseat, we could feel the tension mounting in the vehicle.

When we hit mile marker #94 we started to believe that we might actually make it. Never mind that I could see the entire "E" because the needle was so far past! We suddenly had faith that God might just do a miracle! So when the lights of the Naples Toll Booth began to emerge, it suddenly became clear that we were within striking distance of a gas station.

Sure enough, we made it to the gas station at Exit #101. I have no idea how we made it, but we did. We put 19.2 gallons in my 18 gallon tank. Wow. We were definitely both relieved and thankful! That's for sure.

Probably the most telling story of the night was that while Chad and I were in the front seat absolutely FREAKING OUT, Will was asleep in the backseat the entire time. It was almost as if he were saying, "It's okay, my dad's in the driver's seat. I know everything is going to be okay." Wow, the faith of a child.

So here's my question for you... What situation are you going to face this week, where you need the assurance that your Heavenly Father is in the Driver's Seat? Trust me, you're going to make it to your exit! Your Dad's driving your life!

Just a Bloggish Thought,

matt

1 comments:

Pete Reycroft said...

Matt-
Been there, done that! We learn something new every day, Good or Bad
God was looking over you on that trip because of all your faiths, but the kid in that back seat are our future. Just another lesson for them in their long lives ahead!

God Bless

Pete

Post a Comment