Pages

Monday, April 28, 2008

Mentors - Part 1

I want to spend this week talking about Mentors. In the last few weeks, I'm learning alot about the power, presence & necessity of mentors in our lives. However, often when we think of mentors, we have a narrow definition that keeps us from learning the lessons necessary to become the person we have the potential to become.

1. What is a Mentor? Quite simply, Mentors are Voices. Voices we give permission to speak into our lives. Voices we allow to touch our heart. Voices we invite into challenge the way we think, act, talk, & live.

2. Who qualifies as a Mentor? Anyone we give permission to speak into our lives. In short, a mentor is anyone we think we can learn from. And... if they turn out to be someone we don't want to learn from, then they've actually taught us something about who we don't want to learn from.

3. Where do I find Mentors? They're everywhere. Waiting for us to invite them into our lives. I heard Andy Stanley say once, "Ask someone to be your mentor & they'll give you a funny look. Ask them if you can ask them some questions, and they'll say 'Sure anytime.'"

We'll spend the remainder of the week, looking at many of the Mentors that have impacted my life and where they came from.

Just a bloggish thought,

Matt Keller

1 comments:

Sam said...

Pastor MATT!!!! man. I loved this. Im just now writing an entry in my blog about the leadership meeting that was on sunday,and reading this opened my eyes even more. You and your staff are amazing mentors in my life, and I enjoy ever second I have with all of them. You have a big heart, and mind. Keep being you! If you get any free time, check out my blog. www.SamMcDowell.blogspot.com Thanks bro!

Post a Comment