Pages

Tuesday, April 29, 2008

Mentors - Part 2

Over the last 15 years, I have had the wonderful privilege of being mentored by some of the greatest minds alive in the areas of faith, leadership, business, and finance. Men like John Maxwell, Oswald Chambers, Robert Kiyosaki, Dave Ramsey, Andy Stanley, Jim Collins, just to name a few. And here's the great thing... I didn't have to spend thousands to travel where they were, or attend big weekends with them.

They actually came right to me... in the form of books. One of the greatest forms of mentoring exists in book form! Learning to read through the eyes of mentoring can yield huge results in our lives! Here's why:

1. We can spend hours with someone when we read a book! I have literally spent hundreds of hours sitting at the feet of John Maxwell over the past 13 years. In 1995, I got to hear John speak at a small gathering of a few hundred people in Indiana. I immediately bought his book, The 21 Irrefutable Laws of Leadership and the mentoring began! There aren't too many books that John Maxwell has written since, that I have not bought & devoured. Why? Because I get to be mentored by him for hours a time, simply by reading his books.

2. We have access to the author's head & heart. When we read with a mentoring lens on, we get to see inside their head and heart. We learn how they think about issues and face realities similar to ours.

3. We get to take them wherever we go. I love having coffee with John Maxwell, or sitting on a plane for 2 hours with Andy Stanley. Some of the greatest mentoring we'll ever receive exists in book form. It's up to us to read with a mentoring lens in mind. When we do. Our world will come alive!

Just a bloggish thought,

matt

0 comments:

Post a Comment