Pages

Wednesday, April 30, 2008

Mentors - Part 3

In the last week I have had mentoring conversations with Greg Surratt, Mark Batterson, Larry Osborne, Andy Stanley, & Rick Warren.  Actually there were several more, but I don't want to brag!  Here's how it went down... they were speaking, I was listening and being mentored.  Some happened through my iPod, others were actually in person at a conference I attended last week.  Others came through a CD Player.  One actually happened over a table at TGI Fridays.  But all were conversations.  They spoke, I listened and responded in my heart.  I was being mentored by them.

Listening to messages that leaders teach is a form of mentorship.  When we listen with a mentorship lens, we grow as a leader and person.

1.  We hear their passion.  One of the great things about listening to a message from someone we want to be mentored by is we get to hear what they're passionate about.  Nothing takes the place of hearing the passion in another's voice.

2.  We hear their heart.  When we listen with a mentoring lens we are challenged to see their heart on a subject.  And hearing someone else's heart, forces us to examine ours.

3.  We hear their wisdom.  The Bible says that if we want to grow wise, we must walk with the wise.  Being intentional about listening to messages spoken by great men and women allows us to grow in wisdom.  And that's mentoring at it's best!

Just a bloggish thought,

Matt

0 comments:

Post a Comment