Pages

Monday, September 17, 2007

Contact with the Outside World!!!

One occupational hazard of being a "Professional Christian" (as I like to call myself) is that, since I work in a church all day long, I have to be very intentional about connecting with the "outside world" around me. Well, today I got a chance...

I was picking up my dry cleaning this morning before I went to study and as I pulled up to the drive-thru, the lady just looked at me as if she forgot who I was. (I had just dropped my stuff off yesterday...) So I simply stated my name and then she said, "Uh, why can't I remember who you are?!?" To which I said, "It's no problem, & it's actually my fault, b/c I haven't done anything to make myself stand out as the Best Customer Ever!" She just smiled and laughed and then said, "There is another person named "Keller" that comes through here, I'll just try and remember you with her..." To which I said, "No, I think I can do better than that!"

So we laughed a moment longer, I paid, and then drove off...

I went around the corner to 7/11 and bought 3 Yellow Roses for like 6 bucks and then drove back through the drive thru line... just like 5 minutes later.

As I rolled down my window she gave me this look like, "Oh no, what did we screw up?" And then I stuck the flowers out the window! She instantly got tears in her eyes, and said, "You have no idea how this brightens my day. My father is in the hospital today, and b/c I'm here, I can't be with him!" Wow.

So I offered to pray for her... (not b/c I'm a pastor, but b/c I'm a Christian, by the way) and she said yes! So right there in the drive-thru line, I had a chance to make a difference in someone's life, and pray for comfort and encouragement for her and her father. Wow. What a good start to my day!

Drive-thru prayer... yeah, I've done that!

Have great day everybody,

Matt

6 comments:

erickyp said...

That's very cool Matt. I know what you mean about "professional Christian". It was like that for me in my last church but since we planted and our church office is still in the guest house of my home, we run a vacation rental business and our church meets in the marketplace (Rave Motion Picutres in the Destin Commons), I have seen a huge difference in my personal life interacting with people who don't go to church. The challenge that I want to take up is when we do finally move into our own building is that we conitnue valuing what being temporary froces us to do and that is be involved in the lives of unchurched people in our community.
I love it so much about being portable, that I might have tough time going permanent. "Once you've had portable, you'll never go back!"

Lorrie Covington said...

Matt, you are truly a beautiful soul. God bless you for being such a great man of God...not just on Sunday.

Eric Wiener said...

Dude, you are awesome. Not because you're my pastor, but because.... you are awesome.

Michael Cleary said...

Dude, what a great story. As a newcomer to Next Level im more and more impressed/moved each time i come....not only by you but also the people you've attracted. Keep up the good work!

Jeff Lash said...

You just never know what you will encounter each day when you wake up. If we can just learn to open our eyes, listen to people, and get our minds off of ourselves for a moment, we will be able to see the needs around us and simple ways of sharing the gospel with people just like this. I know that I have a lot of room for growth in this way. Thanks for the encouraging word.

Chad Oliver said...

A Spontaneous Act of Kindness = therapy for the soul. Way to go Matt. Way to not only recognize an opportunity, but also to act on it. She's never forget the day she got flowers in the drive thru!

Post a Comment