Pages

Tuesday, September 4, 2007

I Choose My Wife!!!

Sarah and I had a "Get-a-way" Weekend over Labor Day and it was amazing! We totally needed it. And so did our church! For the last 5 1/2 years, we have always made sure to keep our prioirities in the right order in our home & ministry. Ministry can be all-consuming and too many ministry couples quit making their marriage the priority. The truth is, Church is alot like a child, it's always there, and sometimes you just need to leave it in good hands and focus on your marriage.

God has given us a great team and we know that NLC is in good hands. From the beginning, we have wanted to build into the culture of NLC that I'm not the only one who can, "feed the sheep," so to speak. Too many pastors do their churches a disservice by not training their people from an early age that it's okay for the pastor to be gone! I'm thankful that the people of Next Level get that! The truth is, "If you want to build a strong church, then build a strong marriage!" You can quote me on that!!!

As for the boys, they spent the weekend with Grandma & Grandpa, (which they love!!!) and we got to experience the beach, just the two of us! I love that my kids are already learning that mommy & daddy's marriage is priority over church and even them! We want our kids to understand that, "if our marriage suffers, our whole family suffers." I want our kids to grow up knowing that nothing is going to get in the way of our marriage! Including them... We love them & they are amazingly important, of course, but not to the detriment of our marriage. (That seems rather counter-intutitive to me.)

I hear stories every so often of couples who haven't so much as been on a date night in "...forever..." I have to tell you that I get concerned for the state of their marriage when I hear that. Date nights and time away from our life and kids is like Oxygen to our marriage! We have to have it or we'll die! Life moves too fast and is too demanding for us to not pull away for a couple of hours or days and reconnect. Tomorrow I'll share with you a few thoughts on what I realized on our "weekend away!"

By the way, it's good to be refreshed and back at it this morning,

Just a bloggish thought,

Matt

2 comments:

Deb said...

You have an incredible staff! Scott spoke an amazing message this past Sunday! We are blessed to have his leadership in our church! God is definately using the church to speak to me! Your marriage & your priorities inspire me! Thanks for being a great example!

sarahkeller said...

Thanks for making our marriage a priority. You are an amazing leader to NLC, but more importantly, to our family...I love you!

Post a Comment