Pages

Saturday, September 29, 2007

Lessons I learned from an Older & Wiser Leader

I mentioned a couple of days ago, that I had lunch with Gary Cox, the senior pastor of First Christian Church in downtown Fort Myers, FL. I wanted to share a few of the teachable insights he gave me during our lunch. What a great guy. I am so humbled to have learned at his table for 2 hours last Thursday.

1. Don't try and sprint a marathon. Gary has been at FCC for 18 years. 12 as the senior leader. He is a testimony in longivity and faithfulness. He's just steadfast. What a good word, for a 32 year old, prone to be a bit rambunxious leader like me!

2. Discipline trumps Talent in the long run. Gary told me this when I asked him, a 50 year old guy, to give advice to himself 18 years earlier when he first moved here, as a 32 year old man. He told me he would tell himself to spend more time developing disciplines than talent. Talent is what it is, but discipline has the ability to sustain, like talent never can. Gosh. Are you kiddin' me! That's just ridiculous!

3. Dont' believe your own press. Avoid the temptation. Period. You're just not that good. It's all God anyway.

4. Never underestimate the power of Vision. It really is true that without a vision the people perish. Lead with vision. Give your people a compelling vision to buy into and follow.

5. This is still the best job on the planet. In spite of all the tough stuff that comes with "the people business," never forget for a minute that we actually get paid to do this! We get to invest our lives impacting other people's lives for eternity. Nothing beats that. Nothing. Gary lives that!

There is so much more I could share, but I think I'm still processing it in my own heart, so, I'm sorry, I'm just gonna have to leave you hangin'. What a friend and mentor I have in Gary Cox.

Thanks again Gary for lunch,

I'm so glad I get to do this everyday!

Matt

1 comments:

Lorrie Covington said...

Scott and I listen to Gary Cox's message each Sunday as we're driving to NLC. It's funny that he is your mentor because Scott and I have often thought that Gary is an older "Matt Keller"...in that, his messages are relevant, never boring, and inspiring. While we are 'fed' at NLC, we are able to quench our thirst a bit before we even sit down to the table!

How blessed we are to have such great leaders and men who are living what they preach.

Post a Comment