Pages

Wednesday, October 10, 2007

"People Need to be Reminded, more than they need to be Instructed!"

This is one of the 154,000 quotes I took away from the Catalyst Conference last week. Patrick Lencioni said it, and I absolutely love it! What a great reflection for me as a communicator. One of the primary line items on my job description has to do with weekly communication to a group of people. Here are a few of my thoughts that I'm processing through on this quote:

1. People Know & Understand more than we give them credit for.

By simply reminding them, we insinuate that they know more than they think we do. I think it's easy for us to assume that our employees, or friends, or children, or even church attenders, aren't capable of making wise, informed decisions. I just read a quote in the book, unChristian, by David Kinneman about the next generation that is so enlightening. He writes, "They (16-29 yr. olds) want to try things out themselves, disdaining self-proclaimed experts and 'talking head' presentations. If something doesn't work for them, or if they are not permitted to participate in the process, they quickly move on to something that grabs them."

What if our job as leaders is to "remind" people of what they already know in their heart to be the wise decision? And then to simply invite them into the process of fleshing it out in a personal way?

2. Humans have a built in resistance to being "told what to do."

Lencioni calls it instruction, however, it's reasonable to say that others might call it, "barking at me," "talking head," or worse. I love the thought that the next generation among us desires leaders who are "figuring it out as well." They want the "person up front" to just talk to them.

3. How we say things matters... a whole lot.

This implication from Lencioni's quote is big for me. As leaders, we can never forget that how we say what we say is as important as what we say. We are leaders. Our lives & words hold the power to create realities for people. Both positively & negatively. It's completely inaccurate that "sticks and stones are the only thing that break bones..." Our words can make or break a person's spirit, life & future!

May we, the leaders of the next generation, continue to "Remind" people of all that they can be in Christ, everyday!

Have I told you that I love doing this???

Matt

0 comments:

Post a Comment