Pages

Friday, February 25, 2011

Managing the Tension - Part 3

I want to give us 2 final thoughts on how we manage the tension of leadership between our current reality and the dream in our heart for the future.

Here's the last 2:

4.  Don't take yourself Too Seriously.

     When our church was just a few months old we received some great advice from a prominent pastor. He told us, "Don't take yourself too seriously, because no one else is." In 9 years, I've never forgotten that. When you're neck deep in the tension between now and the future, it's easy to take the whole thing too seriously. To become overwhelmed and allow your blood pressure to be too high and want to do harm to yourself and others with sharp objects.

     If we're not careful, managing the tension of our leadership reality can cause us to lose our joy. Fight against that. Give yourself permission to fish more, or golf more, or take a nap during the weekday every now and then. Listen, this whole leadership deal is about the long-haul, not a short-sighted adrenaline rush. Relax, enjoy the ride. After all, you're giving your life for it. Why not enjoy it?

5.  Embrace your journey as your journey.

     Our church growth story was not one of overnight success or quick growth... ever. Instead, for 9+ years, we've been the up the middle, one yard at a time, journey. If I'm being honest with you, I have to admit that for a lot of years, I resented our journey. I wanted to be bigger faster. I wanted to be further along than we were.

     But a few years ago, everything changed. Right about the time I started coaching other pastors and leaders, I began to realize that the wisdom and lessons I was able to teach were coming from all of the experiences I was  resenting. Suddenly it was as if the whole thing turned. What I came to realize was that God had used my journey to position me for a unique platform of influence I could have had no other way. If I had not walked the journey I did, I could not teach the things I now teach.

     Your journey is your journey. The longer you spend resenting it or denying it or trying to change it, the more time you're wasting learning from it and embracing it. The tension of leadership is not going away, why not lean into it instead of fighting against it. In the end, it makes leading a lot more satisifying.

Matt Keller

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great post!

Post a Comment