Pages

Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Why I have waited to buy an iPad for a year now... (it is not why you may think)

In a word... Discipline. When the iPad was first announced I freaked. No seriously, I was like "Oh my sakes, this is it!" I was like a teenage girl at a school dance; all squeally and stuff. But (this is a big but) I (along with the wife) decided not to get one.

The obvious reason which accounted for about 15%, was that the 2nd generation would have more features / less bugs etc. Which I'm hoping it does. (Come on Steve, don't let me down...)

But the bigger reason, by far, was that it would be a good discipline for me to wait a year for something that I really wanted.

So for the last year, I've had the privilege of letting God do a quiet work in my heart every time I saw one of my friends pull out their iPad. It's been cool to monitor how I respond each time. Over all, I've done pretty well at genuinely being happy for them. Only every once in a great while am i like, "Come on man, You're a bad steward of that thing. You're totally under utilizing the apps & features!!!"

Let me ask you, when was the last time you deliberately waited for something when you could have had it immediately? What if, every once in a while, it's good to give our desires a timeout?

By the way, I wrote this on my iPhone. I'm still patiently waiting for the iPad...

Intentionally NOT spoiled rotten,

Matt Keller

1 comments:

Luke said...

Wow bro I am with you... I am like noooooooo pleasssseeeeee I gottta have it... that is the flesh screaming and the engrained materialism of my US culture.
So I too wait and smile alot everytime someone breaks out their ipad... I mean a whole lot. Seems everybody has one but me... there I go again.
I would not get a mac computer for 4 years as we have been part of bringing computers into Vietnam loaded with the Bible and Bible school curriculum for the underground church. I told a friend my heart for the mac computer... he blessed us with resources for the computers for Nam and me a Mac Book Pro!
I sprung for the iphone cause when it is time to "go to the next level"... roll with it.
When u guys roll n2 the new building I pray u walk to the pulpit with ur new ipad in Jesus name...
So this AM I give thxs for the computer/phone/tools for the ministering of the gospel. and my new ipad ahead of time...

Post a Comment