Pages

Tuesday, September 30, 2008

Strangely Unfamiliar

Last week, I spent 48 hours saying goodbye to my childhood home in Indiana. This week's blogs center around that...

The house looks the same, relatively speaking. What I mean is, my dad is a handy-man extraordinaire so every square inch of the house I grew up in has been completely remodeled at some point in the last 30 years. Seriously. There’s not one inch of the place that hasn’t had an improvement made to it, including the barn!!!

So, even though the interior of the house looks different, it still feels the same. I can still run up the stairs 2 by 2 and make it to the top just in time to make the right turn into my bedroom without running into the doorframe. The basement still has a unique, damp smell and the shower head is still too low.

Every piece of our 3 ½ acres of land holds a significant memory for me. Wiffle ball games in the back field, 6th grade swimming party around the pool, shooting baskets in the driveway. Snow sledding down the hill by the 3 apple trees.

Everything about the place is strangely unfamiliar and yet like an old friend all at the same time.

Great memories of a great childhood in a great house,

Matt

1 comments:

TJ said...

Matt,

I can relate with you. Though not quite 30 years. When Dani and I sold our house it had been in my family for almost 20 years.

It was my parent's first house. My grandparents bought it from them and then we ended up buying it from my grandparents. After our first son was born I remembered parts of my childhood in that house. Jaxon's bedroom was my brother's bedroom. When I would stand over his crib and look at Jaxon I remembered what it was like to look at my baby brother in the same room.

There were plenty of great memories from that house. Also neighbors who will be friends for life. But the best part of the whole thing was closing that chapter of my life and moving here to start making new memories!

Post a Comment