Pages

Saturday, June 2, 2007

From Tiger Woods to Fenway Park

Hey everyone,

I just wanted to let you know that the next stop on my study break/vacation took me to Boston, MA and Fenway Park, Home of the Boston Red Sox. Of course, most of you know that I'm a huge baseball fan, and since moving to Southwest Florida have become a big Red Sox fan b/c they spring trainin Fort Myers.

I also have a goal to see a Major League Baseball Game in every stadium in the majors, and up until Saturday, I was at 14 out of 30. Fenway Park makes #15, and let me tell you it was truly like nothing I've ever experienced before. Here are a few of the high points:

  1. The Fans. -There is such a thing called "Red Sox Nation" and on Saturday I was a part of it! Big Time! These people are crazy about "their sox." They love them, defend them, eat and sleep them, and bleed Sox Red, that's for sure. It was intense.

  2. The Ballpark itself. - Fenway Park is the 2nd oldest ballpark in the Majors, behind Wrigley Field in Chicago where the Cubs play. Having grown up going to Wrigley I knew that today's trip to Fenway would have a similar atmosphere. and indeed it did. The stadium was built in 1912, the year the Titanic sank, (just for a reference point) and the ballpark definitely lacks the amenities of the modern day baseball parks we've become accustomed to. However, what Fenway lacks in amenities, it more than makes up for in charm. It was just beautiful. Quaint, personal, and intimate. all great characteristics of a great ballpark!

  3. The Reason. - So the reason I'm in New England is because I'm speaking at Next Level Church on Sunday. No, not Next Level Church of Southwest Florida, but Next Level Church of New Hampshire. They are a church plant that began 5 months ago and are meeting in a Movie Theater. I have been doing alot of coaching with the pastor and am spending a couple of days encouraging their people, meeting with their leaders and getting to know Josh and Jennifer Gagnon. (I'll talk more about my time at NLC - New Hampshire in tomorrow's blog.)

  4. The actual game. - The game itself was one of the best I've seen in a long time. The Red Sox played their arch rivals the New York Yankees and beat them 11 - 6. It was a game for the history books.

  5. The Team. - The Red Sox are currently the best team in baseball and have a great chance to make it to the World Series again this year, after winning it in 2004. What a privilege to see them at home against the Yanks, and win! Sweet.

  6. The Seats. - So it's probably an understatement when I say that getting tickets to a high profile game like this one was hard to do. Well, thankfully our boy Pastor Josh Gagnon has a hook up, or sold a kidney, or mortgaged a house recently, b/c we sat 4 rows up from the field just down from the Yankees dugout. Let me put it this way, the 3rd baseman for the Yankees, Alex Rodriguez, could hear us (I mean those in our section) heckling him the entire game! At one point he looked over at us, (I mean them) and gave us (them) this look like, "will you punks knock it off already!" Believe me when I say, Red Sox Nation is something to behold.


I have to tell you there is nothing like a baseball game to help me relax and unwind from the pressures and stresses of the last few months. It was great to have Fenway Park be #15 on my "Tour of America's Pastime..."

I can't wait to tell you about Next Level Church of New Hampshire, stay tuned tomorrow.

Oh yeah, don't worry, the baseball illustrations will be flowing upon my return to Southwest Florida... You can count on it!

Thanks for reading my Baseball Bloggish Thoughts,

Matt

2 comments:

Sarah Keller said...

Honey -- it was great to hear your thoughts on Fenway Park. I can just imagine the 8 year old smile on your face! I love you!!! :)

Pete Reycroft said...

Besides the lower than Florida temp's did you get the shivers all over upon entering Fenway? Thought you may like to know, I sometimes get those shivers listing to Lindsay and the NLC band!

Take Care and GO SOX!

Pete

Post a Comment