Pages

Thursday, June 7, 2007

My Final Stop on the Train - Kansas City (& St. Louis)

The final stop for me this year on my study break/ vacation/ church planting coaching trip was with Timmy Gibson, pastor of OlatheLifeFellowship just outside of Kansas City, KS.  Timmy and his wife Jana started the church in January of 2003 and meet in a High School that seats close to 1,000 (just like we do…).

I consider Timmy a peer and friend in ministry that I was anxious to get to know on a more personal level then just the last few years at the ARC Church Planting Conferences.  Man, am I glad that I got to spend 2 days with them in their city and in their home.

First, Timmy and I come from a similar background of Youth Ministry.  We share a passion for our generation (although he’s “a lot” older than me, 38…) and reaching the emerging generation with the Gospel in a relevant and life-giving way.

Second, Timmy’s church is roughly the same size as ours.  This makes for amazing conversation, b/c he can totally relate to the struggles, pressures, and issues that I’m dealing with.  I can’t tell you how great it is to find someone who is on the same plane as I am in church work.

Third, Timmy sees life so much the same as I do… same frustrations, questions, issues, & pursuits.

Here are a few thoughts that jumped out at me as to the way Timmy and Jana live their lives:

1.  He is extremely missional in his everyday life.  It seemed like everywhere we went, he was telling someone about their church, inviting them, or giving them an invite card to OLF.  Wow.  I was so challenged (again, as I’ve mentioned in the past couple of weeks of blogs) to really start viewing my life through a more missional lense.

2.  He and Jana have a great marriage.  Just like Sarah & I, they are passionately in love with each other and it shows at every level.  It certainly made me so thankful for all that Sarah and I have as well.  Timmy and I see all things marriage & passion & romance the same!  It was awesome to talk with him about all that!

3.  They have great kids.  Their  2 kids (their daughter, Shaeyley, 9, & their son, Vandon, 5, made me miss my kids big time.  They’re great.  (We all got to drive across the state of Missouri to St. Louis for a Cardinals Game last night and they were absolute troopers!)  Thanks Shae & Vandon for making my 16th stadium amazing!

4.  Timmy was so quick to get vulnerable with me.  As I mentioned he and I had never spent a lot of time together before these 2 days, and from the moment I arrived, he and I pushed past any perceived awkwardness and just got real and vulnerable with each other.  It was great to talk about everything from church to pressures, to temptations, to money, etc with Timmy.  He truly lives authentically.

5.  Timmy has wisdom.  It was fun to mine out wisdom from him.  He’s been around ministry for as long as I have, and has went through some really tough stuff (like I have) and it was cool to share those stories and experiences.

All in all, I had a great 2 days in Kansas City and appreciate Timmy and Jana for opening up their home and their lives to me and road-tripping to a baseball game! (“Hey guys, remember that one time when the police chased us at 3 am and Timmy outran them??? Kind of…”)  Long story.  That’s a whole other blog altogether!!!

A Couple of Leadership Challenge Questions for you:

1.  ?  How are you doing at living Missionally?  Who have you told lately about your relationship with Christ?

2.  ? How’s the relational zones of your life right now?  What needs work?  Where are you slackin’ or taking someone important in your life for granted?

3.  ? Who in your life are you “getting vulnerable” with?  Who knows the real you?

4.  ? Who in your world are you “mining wisdom” from?

May we, just like Timmy Gibson, live more missional, authentic lives in the coming days as young leaders… I can’t wait to see all of you this weekend at NLC!

…just some bloggish thoughts…

Matt

0 comments:

Post a Comment