Pages

Monday, October 6, 2008

My Thoughts on "Being Funny"

Over the years, I’ve been able to collect several “principles” about comedic delivery. In fact, I’ve been labeled as “very funny” on several occasions in my life. So this (& a really great episode of SNL) got me thinking about “Being Funny.”



Enjoy this week’s blogs. (I’m not sure why I’m sharing these this week, but I hope they make you think, laugh, & give you a bit better insight into me, & if you’re a communicator, I hope they make you better.)

So without further ado, here is a snapshot of How I think about Comedy…

#1: Find the Funny in the Ordinary.

I live by the personal belief that there are funny things happening all around us, most all of the time. The problem is, we just fail to notice them.

As a communicator who speaks close to a hundred times a year in various environments, I’m always on the lookout for something funny happening in my everyday life.

For example, the night my wife was in a car accident 6 weeks ago, I parked in a nearby parking lot and then decided to run to the scene. Well, in my hurry to get to her, I ran over a grassy hill and then down the other side heading for the sidewalk. When I ran to the bottom of the hill I didn’t realize in the dark, that there was about 14 inches of standing water in the grass!

As I tried to run through it, my slip-on sandals got stuck in the muck and I fell flat on my face. When I arrived at the scene of the accident, I was soaked from head to toe.

When we arrived at the Emergency Room, my wife finally saw me in good light and with a puzzled expression on her face, asked, “What happened to you?” To which I responded, “I got stuck in the mud trying to get to you.” We both burst into laughter.

Funny lives inside the ordinary zones of our lives. If you don’t watch for it, you’ll miss it.

(My wife is doing fine by the way…)

Matt

1 comments:

Alyssa LaGreca said...

"I live by the personal belief that there are funny things happening all around us, most all of the time. The problem is, we just fail to notice them."

--THAT IS SO TRUE! I think many of us are too caught up in the negative around us and fail to recognize humor and blessings!

Post a Comment