Pages

Monday, May 12, 2008

The Greatest Discipline - Listening - Part 1

One of the greatest disciplines we can ever learn in leadership is Listening. I have been reminded of this recently in my own leadership. Over a period of several weeks, I have had several different inputs alert me to my need to "Relearn Listening." With that in mind, I want to spend a week reviewing some of the "Greatest" things about listening & leadership.

1. Listening is the Greatest Discipline. It was Larry King who said, "Nothing I say today will teach me anything." I love that. It's only what we hear or pick up from others that has the power to change our lives.

2. Listening is easier said than done. Ask anyone and most everyone will tell you, "yeah, sure, I'm a good listener." However, as I'm finding out in my leadership, perception is often different than reality.

3. Listening an Artform. Of all the creative things I do in my life, I need to work on the creative art of listening. Learning to hear what is not being said often has the power to teach us more than the words themselves.

Just a bloggish thought,

Matt

2 comments:

Sam said...

This is great. I find if you dont listen, you cant learn. And you have to learn somethin before you can teach it. Your amazing Pastor Matt. Your huge in my life. Keep on changing lives, and helping people reach God!

Ed Steffens said...

Human beings are designed as deletion creatures. we are wired to tune out 99% of the information which comes at us through our senses. Such are the limits of the flesh... One of the gifts of the Spirit is discernment. Discernment can mean, the power to see what is not evident to the average mind. perhaps a more liberal definition might include an ability to hear what people are "actually" saying. Communication being auditory,visual or kinisthetic.
Relax! Being a pastor does not mean you have to be completely able in all respects. Trust the Spirit which resides in you. "seek the best gifts" might mean the gift needed for a particular season. But the Spirit distributes as He wills... He is able and faithfull! If hearing others is on your heart than we shall pray and seek the Spirit of God for discernment for you and your ministry staff.

P.S.
Remember wives are awsome my friend, they are like discernment mechines and beautiful mirrors of truth... thank God we are so blessed, and pray God that we pay attentention.

love you matt

Post a Comment