Pages

Tuesday, May 6, 2008

Personal Mentoring Stories - Part 2

On Tuesday of last week I talked about being mentored by books. I am presently reading Leadership Gold by John Maxwell. He recently taught me about how to handle criticism. Here are a few of the take aways I wrote down in my journal:

"I love being mentored by John Maxwell as well. Here's what he told me today over coffee about criticism:"

1. Criticism is a price of Leadership. Period. Get over it!

2. When you're out in front, everything you do attracts attention.

3. If you are successful, you will be criticized.

4. The way to avoid criticism is to say nothing, do nothing and be nothing.

5. Separate yourself from your job or role.

6. Often, what we need to hear most is what we want to hear least.

7. Are they being judgemental, or giivng me the benefit of the doubt?

8. Don't respond or be surprised by, "I told you so." Critics love to take credit for your success.

9. Be you and be the best you possible!

10. Worrying about what other people think means you have more confidence in their opinion of you then your own!

11. People are never paying as much attention to you as you might think. Don't take yourself too seriously.

12. Secure leaders don't need to defend themselves.

13. Insecurity and defensiveness will prevent you from reaching your potential!

Good stuff isn't it? It's great to be mentored by John Maxwell!

Just a bloggish thought,

Matt

0 comments:

Post a Comment