Pages

Monday, May 5, 2008

Personal Mentoring Stories - Part 1

Last week, we talked about Mentors. This week, I want to give you a sample of how I process the information I'm gleaning from the Mentors in my life right now. On Monday of last week, I stated that "Mentors are Voices we give Permission to speak into our life." One of those voices for me is Oswald Chambers.

Oswald Chambers was a great Christian leader in the late 1800's. He died at the age of 43 in 1917. The collection of his messages and thoughts were collected into book form in My Utmost for His Highest and first published in 1927. I am privileged to be mentored by this great saint of the past everyday as I study the greatest daily devotional of all time.

Here's an entry from my journal from my time with Oswald ( I call him Ozzie) on April 28th, 2008:

"I am so privleged to be being mentored by Oswald Chambers this year. He is so wise and so deep. I feel like everyday he's throwing me serious nuggets that are for right now where I'm living.

Today is no exception. Today he taught me that my life is a prize to be won! When I totally surrender my life to Christ, then wherever I amy go I will come out on the other side with my life and nothing can harm me.

I was challenged when he asked, "Are you prepared to let God take you into total oneness with Himself, paying no more attention to what you call the great things of life?" What if God wanted to take all the great hopes and reams I have? would I let Him? Would I surrender to them?

He said later that, "Abandonment means to refuse yourself the luxury of asking any questions" "The reason people are tired is because God hasn't given them anything." He concluded our time together by saying, "If you are not there, it is either because of disobedience in your life or your refusal to be simple enough."

Complexity is the enemy of surrender! Complex things don't surrender well. simple things do. I need to slow down, so I can simplify, so I can surrender! Wow! What a powerful time!"


That's how I was mentored by a man who has been dead for 90 years.

Just a bloggish thought,

matt

1 comments:

Ed Steffens said...

Matt,
Its always so cool to hear someone appreaciate Oswald Chambers. His Journal "My Utmost for His highst" was introduced to me by a dear friend in Christ about 6 years ago. I went through it two years in a row and I stil refer to it often. I would encourage anyone who is desirous of a challenge to get a copy and endulge themselves with the Spirit offered within its pages. Please keep up the wonderful work.
May God continue to richly bless your family and ministry.

Love Ed

Post a Comment