Pages

Thursday, May 8, 2008

Personal Mentoring Stories - Part 4

On Thursday of last week, I mentioned that being mentored by people who are ahead of us is huge. I recently had a chance to have dinner with Greg Surratt, pastor of Seacoast Church in Charleston, SC. Greg planted the church about 20 years ago and has grown it to over 10,000 people in 13 locations across the state of South Carolina. He is a pioneer in the multi-site movement in churches today. I count it a privilege to call Greg a friend.

He and I ended up at dinner together, b/c we were both staying at the same hotel in Orlando for a conference, and he apparently got "stood up" by Rick Warren because his plane was delayed or something. At any rate, I got to have dinner with him instead of Rick Warren! What's up now!!! :)

During our 90 minutes together...

1. I went into question asker mode. I knew I had a rare opportunity that hundreds of other people would love to have. While we were walking across the parking lot, I started making a mental list of questions I wanted to ask him.

2. I went into listener mode. When you have a chance to sit down with a mentor, share enough information to paint an accurate picture for them, then SHUT UP and LISTEN! Let your mouth be silent, your heart be open, and your ears attentive.

3. I asked him the greatest question ever, "If you were me... what would you do?"

4. I picked up the check. As I reached for the bill, he objected and I said, "Greg, people would pay $1,000 to have what I just got with you! The least I can do is pick up the check!" He laughed and said, "If that's true, then write me a check for $1,000 and I'll pick up the check!" We both laughed. Paying for Greg Surratt's dinner was my way of honoring him for the leader in the Body of Christ that he has become.

Thanks again Greg for dinner,

Matt Keller

2 comments:

Greg Surratt said...

Matt...you da man!!!

Brett said...

Great leadership includes great followership. I have the incredible privilege to lead a Seacoast campus and also follow the direction of a great leader and learn from him. To me there always has to be followership as well as leadership! Thanks for sharing this story.

Post a Comment