Pages

Friday, August 8, 2008

5 Things I HAVE to do as a Leader - Part 5

#5: I HAVE to Keep Getting My Hands Dirty.

A final decision that I am determined to make in my leadership is to keep getting my hands dirty. When a leader disconnects from “the work of the ministry” for too long, there is a natural drift that begins to emerge in the organization. Here are a few thoughts…

1. Work hard to know where people are living. When was the last time we, as leaders, walked a day in their shoes? Jobs, kids, responsibilities, mortgages, commutes, moody bosses, etc.

2. Force yourself out of the Lime Green Tower. I know it’s supposed to be “Ivory” but I have Lime Green Walls in my office, so I changed it! Get out, walk around, look in closets you haven’t opened in a while. Ask someone you haven’t talked to in forever how they’re doing. See what happens…

3. Listen while you’re there. My tendency is to immediately start fixing stuff, or pointing out things that need changed, or casting vision. And there is definitely a time and a place for that, but more than anything I have to force myself to listen. I’m always amazed at what I hear.

? When was the last time you found dirt under your fingernails, organizationally?

Just a bloggish thought,

Matt

0 comments:

Post a Comment