Pages

Wednesday, August 20, 2008

How I Learn - Part 3

#3: I Ask Questions.

This week we’re talking about How I have Learned to Learn in my leadership journey. The third thing I have learned to do is Ask Questions. Again, this may sound elementary, but the reality is the person who knows how to ask questions knows how to learn. 3 Thoughts…

1. People are a deep well & questions are the way to mine out the good stuff. Most people are a deep well of great thoughts, insights and experiences, however the vast majority of people will never just offer up those insights without questions.

2. Asking Great Questions is an Artform. I often have people tell me that I ask great questions. I’ll be honest with you, I have spent a significant amount of time thinking about the kinds of questions that elicit detailed responses. I try hard to remember the questions that fall flat and only get a Yes or No response. Those questions get thrown out of my head, as much as possible.

3. I have 10 Questions ready at all times. Because I never know when a learning opportunity will arise, I have 10 general questions in my mind that I can rely on at any minute. Here are 10 easy ones…

1. Tell me your story…
2. Tell me about your strengths…
3. Tell me about your weaknesses…
4. Tell me about your team…
5. Tell me about your greatest success.
6. Tell me about your regrets.
7. Tell me what you’re learning right now…
8. If you were me, what would you do about…
9. How do you spend your time…
10. Who are you listening to / reading right now?

Just a bloggish thought,

Matt

0 comments:

Post a Comment