Pages

Monday, June 23, 2008

How I Lead Myself - Part 1

One of the most vital disciplines a leader can develop is in Learning How to Manage or Lead Themselves. When a leader learns to lead themselves effectively, leading others comes naturally. This week I want to share some thoughts on...

How I Lead Myself


#1: I have had to learn to Control my Thoughts.


First thoughts, then Actions. I learned a great lesson along time ago that every action begins as a thought. It's obvious to say, but amazingly true. When we're sitting at our desk and hear our stomach growl, our first thought is: "I'm hungry." The next thing we know, we're walking toward the snack machine, right?!? First Thoughts, then Actions.


My thoughts create my moods. In 2 Corinthians 10:5, Paul tells us to, "take every thought captive..." I have had to develop this discipline over the years. I'm a worrier by nature and I have the ability to play the yo-yo game with my thoughts. I can lay awake at night yo-yoing one possible circumstance after another. When I don't control my thoughts, I end up allowing my mood to be effected and those I lead pay the price.


My thoughts shape my day. At the end of the day, it's my thoughts that shape my day. As a leader, I don't have the luxury of allowing discouraging thoughts or defeating thoughts to run away with me. When I do, I'm done. There are not enough days in a week for me to sacrifice one on the altar of defeating or discouraging thoughts.


Our thoughts make us who we are...today. As leaders, we must develop the discipline of controlling them.


What thoughts have you been allowing to effect you recently? What do you need to do to "take them captive?"


Just a bloggish thoughts,


Matt

0 comments:

Post a Comment