Pages

Tuesday, June 24, 2008

How I Lead Myself - Part 2

This week we're talking about one of the toughest disciplines for a leader to develop... Leading Ourselves.

#2: I have had to Learn to Control My Attitude.



Our Attitude is our emotional approach to life. Oswald Chambers defines our Attitude as, "Our Emotional Approach to Life." I like that definition b/c each one of us have one. Each day we not only approach our life from a mental perspective (see yesterday's blog) but also from an emotional one as well.

Our Attitude is our choice. This is something I continue to work on as a leader. A few things that help me control my attitude are:

  • margin in my schedule,

  • adequate rest,

  • doing things that make me feel strong,

  • giving myself permission to not be perfect all the time, and

  • having a hobby.


(It's interesting that none of that has anything to do with my to-do list.)

Our Attitude should reflect that of Christ. True leadership is about adopting an attitude of serving others more than ourselves. When in doubt, our default attitude at any moment should look like Christ. When it does, then we're leading ourselves effectively.

  • On a scale of 1 to 10, how would you rate your attitude lately? At home, at work, in traffic, etc.

  • How do you think those around you would rate your attitude?

  • What will you do in the next 24 hours to make an attitude adjustment?


Just a bloggish thought,

Matt

0 comments:

Post a Comment