Pages

Monday, June 30, 2008

GPS Series - Recap - Day 1 - Make Time with God a Priority

Hey everyone,

I hope that you have already found time today to spend a few minutes with God reading through the 2 chapters of our reading plan! I wanted you to have my details notes from the message yesterday of GPS - Part 5. I believe it is one of the most important messages I've ever shared at Next Level Church. If you didn't hear it, you can link to it on the right of my blog.

Here is point #1 from the Message: Priority.

“It must be a …”
1. Priority.

Luke 10:38 “As Jesus and his disciple were on their way, he came to a village where a woman named Martha opened her home to him.

v. 39 “She had a sister called Mary, who sat at the Lord’s feet listening to what he said,

v. 40 “But Martha was distracted by all the preparations that had to be made. She came to him and asked, ‘Lord, don’t you care that my sister has left me to do the work by myself? Tell her to help me!’”


- Life has a way of providing it’s daily distractions, doesn’t it?
- Martha was distracted, & she was really upset about it.
- She saw this dichotomy happening…
1) Her on one side hustling around &
2) Mary on the other side “just sitting there.”
- So she asks Jesus about it…

v. 41-42 “’Martha, Martha,’ the Lord answered, ‘you are worried and upset about many things. But few things are needed – or indeed only one. Mary has chosen what is better, and it will not be taken away from her.’”


- Jesus says that there are a million and one things to be distracted with.
- He doesn’t devalue those things at all.
- He just says that everyday there is 1 Priority that we must have in place.
- Sitting at His Feet.

Make It Personal: The same is true for us!!!
- Life has a way of “distracting” doesn’t it?
- We’re the only ones who can prioritize the “1 Thing!”
- Nobody else will! - In fact, every other person or thing will war against the “1 Thing!”

3 comments:

Sarah Keller said...

Great stuff -- I just got a text from a friend this morning that said, "tell Matt I had a great time with my SOAP this morning!" I also had a great time in Matthew & Romans...thanks Matt!!!

TJ Herrmann said...

I think you hit the nail on the head yesterday. I just sat there and thought to myself, wow. That is me right now. I've been so distracted by our move, trying to get details on purchasing a house ironed out, trying to learn things for work and just the other little things that make up my day. I start my day off with a devotional, but it's hurried and I'm not listening, I'm simply reading. I'm always quick to ask God "aren't you listening to me"? Yesterday was a reminder of where my priorities need to be. Thanks for that...

matthewkeller said...

TJ,

Wow. thanks for sharing your heart! I'm so excited about the SOAP method. I believe this one principle is going to change so many people who's story is just like yours. Life has a way of being busy and crazy and hectic. I'm pumped to hear that you're "guarding your heart" along with so many other Next Levelites!!!

Have a great weeek SOAPing it up!

Pastor Matt

Post a Comment