Pages

Tuesday, July 22, 2008

How I Deal with Criticism - Part 2

#2: It takes Security to Deal with Criticism Effectively.

Yesterday, we started talking about the Issue of Criticism in Leadership. I have found that security is the backbone of good leadership. When a leader is insecure, every decision becomes about them and their feelings rather than the good of the organization.

Secure leaders can hear hard things. It’s not always easy to hear the things I need to hear in leadership. And the truth is, that which I need to hear most, is probably what I want to hear the least. But that’s how we get better, hearing the hard stuff every once in a while.

Secure leaders believe in themselves and their calling. There are moments in time where a leader must fall back on their calling to do what they’re doing. When the criticism is piling on, a leader has to be able to have the confidence that God has placed them here and that’s enough.

Secure leaders live in reality. I have to realize that there will be times in my leadership when I say dumb things, or make wrong decisions that effect people. In those moments, I have to be willing to face the reality of the situation and take what’s coming on the chin. It’s not easy, but it’s right. And I’m always stronger on the other side for it.

? Are you living in reality? Do you run from criticism or do you stand and own your mistakes?

Just a bloggish thought,

Matt

0 comments:

Post a Comment