Pages

Monday, July 7, 2008

How I Think about Discouragement - Part 1

Over the past 17 years of leading people, I have discovered that there are just some things that come along with leading others that are out of my control. One of those is discouragement. If you're a leader, then you're going to face discouragement from time to time. What do we do about it when it hits our lives? This week is dedicated to, How I think about Discouragement.

#1: Discouragement is Inevitable.



Discouragement is apart of life. We live in a fallen world with fallen people. Failures are going to come. Mistakes are going to be made. People are going to be hurt. Sometimes we are one of those people. There is a comfort that comes from knowing that discouragement is just a part of life. I heard that Indy Race Car driver Michael Andretti told his 19 year old son Marco that, "Crashing is apart of racing. Get over it." I like that. Discouragement is apart of life... get over it. We shouldn't run from it, or try and deny it. It's inevitable but it's never final.

Discouragement is a part of Ministry. I'm in the people business and sometimes people are messy. When they choose to have a "diaper explosion" I've got to be prepared for it! It's never fun, but it is inevitable.

Discouragement is apart of success. Show me a successful person and I'll show you someone who has had a struggle with discouragement. It is naive to think that we can climb a mountain and not get tired along the way. If you want to be successful, then you're going to have discouragement.

Where have you tricked yourself into believing that discouragement shouldn't be apart of your leadership journey?

Just a bloggish thought,

Matt

0 comments:

Post a Comment