Pages

Thursday, July 24, 2008

How I Deal with Criticism - Part 4

#4: I can’t take Criticism Personally.

When criticism comes my way, I have to recognize that most of the time it is aimed at my position, not me personally. This is obviously easier said than done, and takes some serious intentionality to do well. Here are a few thoughts:

1. I have to let the best idea win. When criticism is aimed at an idea, rather than take it personally, I have to allow the best idea for the organization win.

2. I have to let the organization win more than I win. Leadership is selfless at it’s core. In the decision making process the most important thing that matters is that the best decision gets heard and made for the organization, regardless of personal implications.

3. I have to refuse bitterness. When I’m criticized, it’s easy to get bitter. Let’s face it, when you’re in leadership, you’re in the people business, and it is amazingly personal. Some of the best advice I ever received from a wise old mentor of mine was, “Matt, never let yourself get bitter.” Bitterness is a poison that will sour our leadership ability.

Just a bloggish thought,

Matt

1 comments:

Orlando said...

who would dare be critical of you...let me at 'em...Great post! God Bless.

Post a Comment